From a real estate perspective, the prevailing wisdom says you should sell your home in the spring, where the flowers are blooming and you can generally show your home in its best possible light. Some realtors may try to scare you into selling your home at a different time of year. In this article, I’ll share some of my thoughts on why fall is a prime season in the real estate calendar, for both sellers and buyers alike. I will, however, focus predominantly on the reasons to sell your Staten Island home in the fall.
Top reasons to sell your home in the fall:
- Fall is a beautiful season, and with the changing colors of the leaves, the surroundings of your property can look stunning at this time of year.
- The generally quieter time of year will mean those in your A-Team will be able to devote more time to your property. Check out our seller’s checklist here for more on how to form your A-Team.
- Your home looks its best at this time of year! It is generally cleaner as you are constantly welcoming visitors and you may have some holiday-themed decorations. I’d counsel against putting too many Halloween decorations out for your Open House. We wouldn’t want to scare off some potential buyers!
For these reasons and others, I would advocate considering selling your Staten Island Home in the fall. As always, consult your team of professionals to get a feel of the local real estate market and current market conditions.
Top tips for selling your home in the fall:
- Ensure your home is ‘dressed for success’! Have you read our recent blog on Staging your Staten Island Home? The tips shared here are essential to ensure you receive the best possible price for your Staten Island home.
- Consider decorating your home with a fall/Halloween theme. You don’t need to go overboard! However, tailoring your decorations so your home feels warm and inviting will go a long way to ensuring potential buyers feel the warmth of your home when they attend a showing. You might even like to have some Halloween adult-themed treats for those attending your open house! A mulled apple cider has been known to put prospective buyers in the mood to make offers on homes.
- Check your HVAC and clean your fireplace (if applicable). When was the last time you checked or changed your furnace filter? Have the HVAC system checked before you to turn on the heat. If you have a gas fireplace or heater, ensure it is turned on for your showings. If you have an unused fireplace, give it a good clean out before putting your home on the market!
- More so than in other seasons, let there be light! Ensure your home is well lit, there are some great tips in here: How to Stage Your Home for Success in the Staten Island Housing Market.
- Think of ways to show off how your home in the other seasons. Consider a photo album or flip book with photos of your home throughout the year. This will assist buyers in visualizing themselves in their new home.
We hope you have found this article useful. To reiterate, the fall can be a great time to sell your Staten Island home! Don’t be put off by the naysayers that may tell you to wait until the spring! Do your research on the prevailing market conditions, in consultation with your A-Team and make your decision from there! Contact my office to see how I can help you with the sale of your home. I look forward to assisting you.
Click here to return to the main News section.
This information, based on New York law, was provided courtesy of The Law Office of Christopher J. Arrigali, P.C. It is intended to inform, not to advise. No one should try to interpret or apply any law without the assistance of legal counsel. Please click here for the full disclaimer.